Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sad News for an Old Friend

This morning during all of the storage space hubbub my mother called me and gave me some sad news regarding an old friend.

Jim Z was the keyboard player in a couple of the bands I was in during my high school and music school days. He's an awesome keyboard player. Just... damn, he's a hell of a keyboard player. With Jim on the keys and the best drummer I've ever known, Jeff, on the drums its amazing that they let a schlub of a guitarist like me hang around for as long as they did.

Jim's father passed away this week. My sincerest condolences go out to Jim, his mother, and his sister, and their entire family. Jim's father and mother achieved instant Sainthood in my book by letting us have rehearsals in their basement in the very early days. How they managed to keep their sanity through all of the horrible noise (especially from the guitar player) I will never know, but I will be eternally greatfull.

I don't see too much of Jim these days. We're friends on facebook, but that doesn't really count, does it? He did play a pivotal role in our joint not-bachelor/not-bachelorette party prior to our wedding. We didn't realize it at the time, but part of our night's celebration was a show at the Improve Asylum in Boston where the improvising keyboard player happens to be Jim Z. Again, eternally greatfull.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment