Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2012 NHL Playoff Prediction Goofiness

This is going to be quick.  My lunch break is almost over.

Here are my off-the-top-of-my-head predictions for the 2012 NHL first round!

Beginning with the East...


New York Rangers vs Ottawa Senators:
As always, the Rangers will go as far as their goalie takes them.  If Henrik Lundqvist is Henrik Lundqvist-esque then the Rangers will make quick work of the Senators.  The Senators were a feel good story this year, but I think the story ends here... and quickly.  The Rangers are going to win this series with ease.

Boston Bruins vs Washington Capitals:
I wrote a little about this yesterday.  The Caps scare me.  They are so good up front that they should scare everyone.  If the Bruins play they way they are capable of playing they should still pretty much steam roll Washington.  The Capitals goal tending is a mess and the Bruins forwards, while not as good as Washington's, should do fine.  Meanwhile, if any team defense can handle Ovetchkin and company, it's the Bruins.  Lest we forget that Tim Moon Bat Thomas has been playing very well lately.  Washington is scary, but not that scary.  The Bruins, the heroic, glorious, triumphant, defending Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins, will advance.

Florida Panthers vs New Jersey Devils:
I hope you enjoy finally getting back into the playoffs, Florida.  The Devils are just better.  Look to former Lowell Devil, David "Kelly" Clarkson to have a break out series.  I just have a feeling.  Oh and those other all-world forwards are okay too.  Martin Brodeur is old and his best days are far behind him, but an older, slower, Brodeur is still better than almost anyone in the history of the known (and probably unknown) universe.  The Devils will take this.  I think Florida makes a fight of it, but I still pick the Devils.

Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadelphia Flyers:
Welcome to the East's marquis match up.  If Ilya Bryzgalov were 100% healthy this would be even more fun to watch, but there are questions about his recent foot injury.  The Penguins were playing off the charts a few weeks ago, but they have cooled down quite a bit.  I still think they will win this round.  Even without Crosby I would still pick them.  Malkin is just too good to be denied this year.  I don't see Pittsburgh winning it all, but I do see him carrying the team through at least the first round.  I pick the Penguins.

On to the West...

Vancouver Canucks vs Los Angeles Kings:
Here we go.  Here is where I start predicting the downfall of Vancouver.  I have liked the Kings all year.  Hell, I've liked the Kings for years.  They were very inconsistent this year, but I have a gut feeling that they are going to start clicking like crazy now that the post season has arrived.  The Canucks proved to me last season that, while they are stocked with elite players and are a great team, they are not a championship team.  Partly because they whine like little bitches, but mostly because they lack the killer instinct.  I am going with my gut for this round (and that is wrong 99.999% of the time, so I am a total idiot for doing this) but I see the Kings taking this series.

St Louis Blues vs San Jose Sharks:
The Sharks haven't been quite their usual post season jokes in recent years.  They've been advancing, but still not going the distance.  I can't say they are an automatic bet against they way they used to be for me.  Still, the Blues have looked great for most of the season.  They may turn out to be one of those stereotypical, "gee it's swell being in the playoffs.  We've made it this far and that's enough happy for us" and just get destroyed (see also: Florida Panthers), but I think they have enough to get past the Sharks in the first round.  I am picking the Blues.

Phoenix Coyotes vs Chicago Blackhawks:
I don't know.  I haven't a clue.  If Chicago had a healthy Jonathan Toews this would be an easy pick, but they don't.  I really don't know who's going to win this one.  In situations like these I tend to pick either the higher seed or the team with the best history.  Phoenix is the higher seed, but Chicago is a member of the original six.  That doesn't help.  So a coin flip tells me to pick Phoenix.  Phoenix it is.  That'll be a good story.  They should win a round in the playoffs before being moved out of the desert and back to Canada where they belong.

Nashville Predators vs Detroit Red Wings:
Let's hear it for the Preds!  The Wings are a world class team.  They are awesome and have been for ages.  They are the model franchise for the NHL.  They are going to lose to a team from a city that never sees snow.  I think the Predators have a chance to take the entire conference this year.  Sure, it's not the sexy pick, but I think they are going to surprise a lot of people who should know better than be surprised by a team like this.  I pick Nashville.

So there you have it, my eight first round picks.  Honestly I would gladly have seven of these choices be dead wrong so long as my Bruins advance.  There has not been a repeat Stanley Cup Champion since the Red Wings did it in the late 90's.  If they can stay relatively healthy, and if their goalie can continue to avoid getting distracted by tea bagger politicking, and they play the way they played back in November and December, the Bruins have a damn good chance at taking this thing again.

Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment