Thursday, April 19, 2012

NHL First Round Updates

Have you been following the NHL playoffs so far?  It's been ugly.  Have we set a league record for suspensions in the first round yet?  There have been cheap shots and dirty play in almost every series.  It's odd.  The league spent so much time trying to clean up head shots this year and then the minute the playoffs start they seem to increase exponentially.  Weird.

I thought I'd take a minute this morning and check on the status of my predictions for the first round.  Two series had elimination games last night, but in both cases the team with the lead failed to put their opponent away.  That means all eight series are still in progress.

Rangers vs Senators?  I figured it would be easy for the Rangers to take this, but right now the series is tied at two games a piece.  You have to give Ottawa credit for hanging in there, although I still expect the Rangers to come out on top.

Bruins vs Capitals?  I was afraid of this.  I was afraid that the Capitals would make this close.  I did not expect their third string goalie to be lights out the way he's been, and I did not expect Washington to out defend a defense first system.  Still, the Bruins have a two games to one lead and while they seemed to lack any real emotional interest in games one and two, after game three they are definitely all in.  I'm really looking forward to game four tonight.  Hopefully game three broke the Caps spirit a little and the B's will have an easier time.  Hopefully.

Panthers vs Devils?  I have to admit, this one has flown way under my radar.  I did catch a little of game three and saw the Devils blow a 3-0 lead.  That's got to hurt.  Florida leads the series two games to one.  This is one of the series that hasn't seemed to have any over the top violence.  I picked New Jersey in this one, and my prediction seems to be headed for trouble.

Penguins vs Flyers?  Can you say, hate?  Can you say, goons?  Can you say, cheap?  Can you say, WTF?  This series has been a mess.  The Penguins had leads in all of the first three games and somehow managed to lose them all.  The got slaughtered in games two and three, but then with elimination on the line they scored 10 goals last night.  What the hell is going on here?  The cheap shots and dirty play are off the charts in the series.  I picked the Penguins and they are making me look bad. 

Canucks vs Kings?  The Penguins are making me look bad, but the Kings are making me look like an effin' GENIUS!  They lead the series three games to one after blowing an elimination opportunity last night.  When I went to bed last night after the first period they had the lead.  Oh well.  Roberto Luongo is now pretty much officially Vancouver's back up goalie.  This series has been a thing of beauty.

Blues vs Sharks?  I haven't caught a second of any of these games.  The Blues lead the series two games to one, which is right in line with my prediction.  Still, this series has been way off my radar.

Coyotes vs Blackhawks?  This series was off my radar too until two nights ago.  I watched in horror as the dirty play was brought to new heights.  Marion Hossa is out of the hospital, which is good.  Raffi Torres hopefully will not play again this season, which is very much deserved.  I flipped a coin and picked Phoenix.  After seeing that cheap shot from Torres, I wish the coin had flipped the other way... although Phoenix is up two games to one.

Predators vs Red Wings?  I haven't seen very much of this series, but I have been paying attention.  I picked Nashville and they are now up three games to one.  The dirty play has been showing up here too, and I am not happy about it.  Still, I want Nashville to advance and the numbers say they probably will.

So there you go.  No sweeps this round.  Lots of over the top cheap, violent play, and the Bruins are up two games to one.  Let's see how it all plays out.

Go Bruins

No comments:

Post a Comment