Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Are you kidding me?

I love hockey. It is one of my favorite sports. It has long had the stigma of being a game where a bunch of gorillas beat the crap out of each other. Sometimes that is justified.

Like last night when Jarkko Ruutu of the Ottawa Senators bit Andrew Peters of the Buffalo Sabers.

Ruutu is a pest. An agitator. Peters is a goon. He's on the team specifically to beat the holy hell out of opposing players. Those two roles are what generally gives hockey it's bad reputation, but I don't mind either of them. Ruutu is one of those guys that everyone alive loathes except for fans of his team. They love him totally. Peters is a guy you can almost root for because he was able to ride the one thing he can actually do, fight, and make a pro hockey career out of it.

What happened last night though... that was just beyond stupidity. Peters stuck his glove into Ruutu's face and Ruutu used his teeth... yes, his teeth, to pull Peter's glove off. Aparently biting him on the thumb hard enough to break the skin.



Fighting in hockey doesn't bother me. This bothers me. Ruutu should be suspended forever. This was stupidity on par with Mike Tyson. Give me a freakin' break.

Ottawa plays the Bruins tomorrow night. If Ruutu somehow avoids a suspension for this (as he actually avoided a penalty on the actual play) I hope every Bruins player takes the opportunity to drill him at least once. Slam the moron into the boards once for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment