Monday, January 26, 2009

More OS Madness

Jennifer is absolutely brilliant.

She somehow fixed whatever was wrong with my laptop so that we can install Windows on it again. She's amazing. Thanks Jenny!

But why just reinstall Windows XP? Why not be more creative? I've been having fun with Linux for a few days now so I figured I would at least create a partition on the hard drive to allow me to duel boot. As for Windows, sure we could go with XP. That would be the easy thing to do. I am sure has hell not going back to Vista without being dragged into it kicking and screaming. There is another option though... the beta version of Windows 7.

Jen created an install disc, got an activation key, installed a few drivers that would make it possible to load onto my laptop, and installed it. She wiped out the Linux install I'd been using for a couple of days, but that was okay with me.

This machine now has Windows 7 installed. That's the good news. The bad news is it can't use the driver for the internal wireless receiver so we can't get it onto the network just yet. We could, but that would require going into the office where it's frosty cold. We'd rather stay here in the living room where it's just plain cold. hehe

So I repartitioned the hard disc using one third for Linux and two thirds for Windows. I reinstalled Ubuntu and was able to connect to the network again. I am typing this post on my Gateway laptop using a Linux OS.

Jen is also going OS nuts on her new MacBook. She has Windows XP installed in the Bootcamp application, which lets you run Windows on your Mac. She also has XP and Windows 7 installed in the Parallels application, which runs a visualization of Windows on your Mac. She is going to install Linux into Parallels too. I was afraid the world would spontaneously combust if we had all three OS's running in the same house... but she's going to have all three installed on the same machine.

As Samuel L. Jackson once famously said...

Hang on to your butts.

No comments:

Post a Comment