Friday, January 23, 2009

Operating System MishMash and Laptop Fun

Jenny bought her MacBook!

She's sitting next to me setting up parallels and bootcamp so she can play Warhammer and remote to her office Windows box. How unbelievably cool is that?

Oh and the MacBook kicks 3,652 flavors of ass. Go to an Apple store and play with one.

While she was in the laptop frame of mind she also took it upon herself to try and revive my seriously injured Gateway. The Gateway was running Vista and some how it had a driver get corrupted and it would only run for a couple of minutes (if it booted up at all) before it crashed.

I had tried to install Windows XP over Vista but it couldn't find the hard disc, which was odd seeing as it could find the disc when it would occasionally actually boot up. I tried to run Linux (Ubuntu) off of a boot disc and it didn't do anything.

Today, after a couple of hours of failure, Jen passed it off to me. She found out just about everything that was happening because she is a friggin' Windows GENIUS. A MASTER. A GURU in the extreme.

I gave up after five minutes and decided to give Linux another shot. This time I just installed it and set up the partition at 100% of the disc. Lo and behold it worked! My Gateway is now running Linux. I struggled a little getting it onto our wireless network, and I am having a bitch of a time getting the f@#$%*g adobe flash plug in to work on Firefox. I got so pissed that I even installed Opera in the hopes that it would have the plug in pre installed. I am currently writting this on my Gateway laptop running Ubuntu and using Opera as my browser. It's a whole new world.

Of course I am going to blow away Ubuntu tomorrow in an attempt to set this machine up as a duel boot between XP and Ubuntu, just like my desktop. That way I can pretend I am a cool open source type while still being a Microsoft slave.

We are a a couple of computer geek masters and we love it. Now we can be 'net nerds in every room of the house. We are sooo cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment