Monday, June 29, 2009

The Flu Sucks

So that was a fun weekend.

On Friday at about 3:00am or so there was a really noisy thunderstorm. It woke both of us up. Jen already pretty much knew she had the flu, but at that time she started getting dizzy. That was scary. At 5:00 she got up and called in sick to work. She already had a doctors appointment for that afternoon but she called and had it moved to a couple of hours earlier. I got up at 6:30 and saw how tough the dizziness was making it on her and decided there was no way she was driving herself anywhere so I called in sick too.

Saturday she felt worse. That made it tough on me as I was going to help my sister and her husband move into their new house. I felt terrible leaving my wife home sick. I did at least manage to get home early enough to help her out in the afternoon.

Sunday her flu symptoms were much better, but the dizziness was worse. There was also a bit of nausea too. She was feeling bad in the early afternoon and tried to take a nap. After a few minutes she asked me to drive her to the emergency room because the dizziness wasn't getting better.

We checked in at 2:00. Four hours later she was discharged after taking two, one liter bottles of that I.V. fluid they give people to rehydrate them. The dizziness and nausea were just symptoms of dehydration. On Friday her doctor told her to make sure she takes in a lot of fluids, and she did. She had a drink with her all the time. (juice or water... not a "drink" drink.) It just wasn't enough.

Once we got home we made sure she had more than a lot to drink and she was feeling a lot better. We were both really tired though and ended up going to bed very early.

Next weekend is 4th of July weekend. Hopefully things go better than they did this weekend... although the law of averages tells us that chances are I will be sick with the flu by then.

Stupid flu bug.
Stupid, stupid flu bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment