Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Major League Baseball Playoffs!

Series begins Thursday
Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV
Gm 1BOS @ LAAThuOct. 89:37 PMTBStickets
Gm 2BOS @ LAAFriOct. 99:37 PMTBStickets
Gm 3LAA @ BOSSunOct. 11TBDTBStickets
Gm 4*LAA @ BOSMonOct. 12TBDTBStickets
Gm 5*BOS @ LAAWedOct. 14TBDTBStickets

There you have it, the schedule for the Boston/Los Angeles American League Divisional Series. The Red Sox, our beloved home town team, have made the post season once again and will once again meet the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the first round.

The Sox had such a commanding lead in the wild card race that it was all but wrapped up back in April. (okay, I exaggerate, but it was a long time ago.) I fear for my team this year. I fear because while they are obviously a very good team, all of the teams in the post season are obviously very good teams, I do not think that they are a great team. They might be, they just haven't showed me that yet. The Angels don't appear to be a great team either, but they might be better than the Red Sox. I can't really tell. It will all come down to pitching I think. Can the Boston starting pitchers, Lester, Beckett, and Buckholtz, shut down the powerful LA offense. I think they can if they are on the top of their game. Unfortunately they might not be. Lester got slammed in the knee with a line drive recently. He came back for his next start and pitched well, but who knows. Beckett missed a recent start with a minor injury. Buckholtz has been very hitable over his last couple of starts. I am picking the Red Sox to win this series, but it's not a lock by any means.

Series begins Wednesday
Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV
Gm 1MIN @ NYYWedOct. 76:07 PMTBStickets
Gm 2MIN @ NYYFriOct. 96:07 PMTBStickets
Gm 3NYY @ MINSunOct. 11TBDTBStickets
Gm 4*NYY @ MINMonOct. 12TBDTBStickets
Gm 5*MIN @ NYYWedOct. 14TBDTBStickets

The Minnesota Twins won a dazzling one game play off against the Detroit Tigers last night. We only saw the 12th and final inning, but what we saw was fantastic, and from what I've read this morning the entire five hour game was just as incredible. The Tigers blew a commanding lead in the division down the stretch. The Twins were three games back with four games to play over the last week. No one has ever come back in that situation. The Twins are on a whirlwind of a roll right now.

Unfortunately all they get by winning the division is the right to be blown out of the water by the New York Yankees. Sorry Twins fans, but the Yankees are the one playoff team that is clearly a great team. I hate the Yankees with all of my heart and soul. I loath them. I am from Boston and hating the Yankees is my solemn duty and I fulfill that duty to the best of my abilities. Having said that... I have to say this... and I hate to say this... but I don't see anyone beating the Yankees in the post season. As of about 10:00 last night I became a humongous Minnesota Twins fan and will root for them just as strongly as I root for my beloved Red Sox... but they don't have a chance.

I barely paid any attention to the National League at all this year. My predictions are based solely on numbers.

Series begins Wednesday
Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV
Gm 1COL @ PHIWedOct. 72:37 PMTBStickets
Gm 2COL @ PHIThuOct. 82:37 PMTBStickets
Gm 3PHI @ COLSatOct. 109:37 PMTBStickets
Gm 4*PHI @ COLSunOct. 11TBDTBStickets
Gm 5*COL @ PHITueOct. 13TBDTBStickets


The Colorado Rockies have been hot. I think that gives them an advantage over the Philadelphia Phillies. I don't think it's enough though. I see the Phillies taking this one. I just hope it's a good series.

Series begins Wednesday
Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV
Gm 1STL @ LADWedOct. 79:37 PMTBStickets
Gm 2STL @ LADThuOct. 86:07 PMTBStickets
Gm 3LAD @ STLSatOct. 106:07 PMTBStickets
Gm 4*LAD @ STLSunOct. 11TBDTBStickets
Gm 5*STL @ LADTueOct. 13TBDTBStickets

The Los Angeles Dodgers lead their division from just about day one. They faded a little but are still a force. I don't know if their starting pitching is enough to take out the St. Louis Cardinals though. I'm not sure who to pick here. My heart tells me the Dodgers if for no other reason then the possibility of a Yankees/Dodgers World Series. As classic a match up as you can get in baseball. My head is telling me to pick the Cardinals. I think I will go with my head this time and pick St. Louis.

There we have it. Eight teams, four best-of-five-game series'. Anyone can win any of these. It should be fun to watch.

Go Red Sox.
Go Twins.
Go Red Sox.

No comments:

Post a Comment