Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Wife Loves Me

My wife loves me. Wanna know how I know? (did I mention this already?)

She sent me a Google Wave invitation. Yup, Mr and Mrs Robbie are now Wave users.

First impression? It's neat, but I don't know if it will replace email and instant messages the way the good folks at Google seem to think it will... or at least their marketing department is saying they think that way.

Is it a replacement for email? Probably not. Maybe, but I doubt it. It's a little too easy to rewrite past messages and reply to things out of order and I can see it being fairly simple to lose your place and miss new messages... although there is a way to mark things as read or unread.

Is it a replacement for instant messages? That's a little more of a possibility. The one thing missing is a notification. I seemed to catch it changing my title bar and the tab on firefox, but that is real easy to miss if you don't have firefox up all the time. I did see something earlier on twitter that mentioned a firefox extension that might fix this oversite. There is also the possibility of it being added to the standard code as well if enough beta testers ask for it.

It's kinda silly, I know, but from a net nerd's point of view it's also pretty cool. Granted I am easily amused by such things... still, I like it so far. My first impression is good.

One thing to note, I do not believe I have any invitations to give at this point. Jen got her invitation from Google and she had the option to invite other people. I don't seem to have that option at this time, so don't ask me to invite you. Granted, there are only four people reading this and two of them already have accounts... so I don't expect to be flooded with requests.

No comments:

Post a Comment