Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Election Fraud

Yesterday Methuen held a town election. The election included the School Committee. There were eight people running for six open spots.

Today the Lawrence Eagle Tribune posts this article. Here is the relevant fragment:

Methuen school committee winner to give up seat to losing incumbent
By J.J. Huggins
jhuggins@eagletribune.com

METHUEN — Voters unseated incumbent School Committeeman George Kazanjian in yesterday's election, but fellow incumbent Kenneth Henrick said he wants to give the seat he won to Kazanjian.

"I beat Kazanjian, who is my buddy, by five votes. He's younger than me and he's a sharp guy. I feel badly," the 70-year-old Henrick said after the election results were released. "I'm shocked. I'm really shocked. I thought he'd do really well."

Kazanjian said Henrick showed up at his Sevoian Drive home and said he would give up the seat to Kazanjian. Kazanjian said he will accept.

"I think he's a tremendous friend," Kazanjian said about Henrick.

Kazanjian said he was surprised by the loss. He finished seventh out of eight contenders for six two-year seats on the board. Kazanjian finished with 3,482 votes while Henrick took 3,487 and the last spot on the School Committee.

"I worked hard. Evidently what I was offering... honest to God, I don't know," Kazanjian said while sitting in his living room with his wife and daughter...


Really?

REALLY?

So our system of government consists of people winning elections having the right to decide who actually gets the office?


REALLY???



This is stupidity of the highest order. I can't even believe it. I had to read the article three times to make sure I wasn't missing something. Something relevant. Something like Mr Henrick giving back all of the money donated to his campaign, resigning from office, and then the city having a special election so the voters (you know, the people... as in "we the people") can elect some one to replace him.

You know, the way it's done in a representative democracy like... oh, I don't know... Methuen... or Massachusetts... or the United States of America.

2 comments:

  1. well first thing, lets agree that Henrick is an idiot and it would be very nice if he were kept very far away from Education in all its forms. second, lets put the blame where it lies..at the foot of the Tribune - this may have been an offhanded comment - an excited utterance..but the tribune titled the article as if it were a complete possibility - which it is not. They deliberately wrote it from a provocative point of view...like throwing water on chickens..and that's not to disparage chickens. but valley folks aren't too bright and tend to startle easily.
    basically it's a dumb article about a dumb guy who said something dumb.
    it's not legal and another election would cost boodles of money no one has.

    ReplyDelete