Friday, July 16, 2010

Existential Questions

When I got to work on this lovely (if a bit muggy) Friday morning in summery July I suddenly felt myself posing an existential question...

Of all the places I could be on the planet Earth, where would I least like to actually be?


I gave it some thought (for about 2 minutes) and came up with the following list:

1. Inside a huge volcano at the moment it begins to erupt. That would suck.

2. Sinking to the very bottom of the ocean (it doesn't matter which one) while wearing no sort of breathing apparatus and being crushed by the unfathomable pressure of the water above me. If you throw in a few man-eating fish it would make it worse, but only a tiny bit worse.

3. Falling out of an airplane without the aide of a parachute. Now this might be a controversial entry as it does not actually involve me being on the planet Earth. Still, let's all agree that it's close enough.

4. Stranded all alone at the North (or South) pole with no chance of ever being found and rescued, while wearing nothing more than shorts and flip flops. Some how its the flip flops that push this into the top five.

5. Sitting in this chair, at this desk, in this office on a lovely (if a bit muggy) Friday morning in summery July when I could be off having fun with my beautiful wife doing something leisurely and summery.

So I can't really say that being at work today is the last place on Earth I want to be... but it's pretty close.

Happy Friday, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment