Friday, August 31, 2012

Long Weekend Approaches

The long Labor Day weekend approaches.  Officially, for me, there are seven hours and 21 minutes to go.  (I've been picking at this post for two hours now.  Every time I come back to it I update that time remaining)  The traffic will be horrible getting home, so I'll stick to the back roads.  It's a pain, but only a small price to pay for an extra day off.

I would like to ask everyone who reads this to send some happy thoughts to my nephew.  My brother's not-quite-two year old son spent last night in the hospital.  The word this morning is that he's better than yesterday, but any positivity would be welcome.

Today is a day that traditionally depresses me.  It's the last day of August.  It's not the last day of summer, but it's the last day of the last full summer month.  Fall is bearing down on us.  There are some leaves on the lawn at home.  I find it sad.  I love summer.  I love spring.  Fall is such a downer.  Everything runs to a halt in fall.  Nature dies.  Sure it's going to come back in a half a year, but that doesn't change the fact that everything is dying or going into hiding, and the winter is fast approaching.  Spring and summer seem to go by so fast for me while winter seems to drag on forever.  It's depressing to me.  Do people who live in San Diego have these same feelings, or is it just us poor New Englanders with our drastically different seasons?

On the upside, today is pay day... so that helps a little.

Anyway, on a much happier personal note, the Clockwork Angels tour starts in seven days.  The wife and kids and I are going to see Rush!  Expect lots of fanboy stuff on this page over the next week.

We don't have any plans for the long weekend.  Jen is in the middle of a huge project at work and she expects to be working quite a bit.  Maybe we can sneak into the back yard for a mini cook out or something.  Just something to acknowledge the symbolic end of summer.  I want to be there for her all weekend.  I want to do things that will make her happy.  That means cleaning the house and mowing the lawn.  I think I can get that done for you, my love.  If I get a few free minutes I'd also like to try working on some recording, or maybe find something to take pictures of.

I just heard from my brother.  My nephew is better today and will probably be going home.  Just because the good news came before I posted the request for happy thoughts does not mean that you can now save your happy vibes for another occasion.  You can still send them to the little guy.  Every little bit helps.

The long weekend is almost here.  Hang in there, you folks in the US! 

No comments:

Post a Comment