Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Voicemail Fun

I haven't updated my voicemail message since I first set up my first iPhone.  I assume I mentioned my name in my voicemail message, but I suppose there is a chance I didn't.  Maybe when I get home from work tonight I'll check.

Every once in a while I get calls from some one in Florida.  It's always the same number and there is always a voicemail.  The caller usually starts off the voicemail he leaves me with something like, "Hey Steve".  It sounds like an older gentleman, but I can't really say for sure.  The caller also never leaves his name.  These random messages come in bunches.  I have gotten two of them this week.  I think this is the fourth such bunch that I've received since first getting that first iPhone however many years ago.

Prior to this batch, the messages have generally been of the "Can you pick me up at the airport?" variety, with the occasional variation being, "I'm at the airport, can you get me?"  I feel bad for the caller, I really do, but when you come right down to it... My name isn't Steve.  My outgoing voicemail message sounds like me, therefore it is not some Floridian named Steve.  I've probably gotten 10 messages from this caller over the years... dontcha think he would have noticed that: 

A:  My name isn't Steve.
B:  I don't sound like Steve.
C:  Steve never, ever calls back.

This weeks pair (so far) of messages have been asking Steve how so and so did at the something or other, and asking if they can get together to critique the performance.  I would be glad to talk things over with the guy, but he always calls when I'm at work and have my ringer off, so I never get the calls.  I don't know what or who needs critiquing, but I'll help out any way I can.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love it? This weekend Sherm checked his voice mail and there was one from a caller whose Mercedes had run out of gas and he wanted Sherm to come get him. Sherm does identify himself in his greeting, but he still gets calls for other people. This one call, though, must have listened to his greeting because he started out with "Hey Mr. Cody, I'm sorry to bother you on a weekend but my Mercedes is stuck on the side of the road..."

    The ones that really kill me are the wrong numbers you answer, and when you tell them they've called the wrong number they argue with you! I had one girl who repeated MY number to me (probably to make sure she had dialed right) and when I told her that was my number but I wasn't Ruthie or Lulu or whoever it was, she got mad and told me she'd been friends with this person for years and this is the number she had! She hung up on me when I told her she couldn't have been THAT good a friend if she didn't even know her friend's correct phone number. Oh well, her loss.

    I had another wrong number from a hotel in Ontario who was calling to confirm my reservation. When I told him I hadn't made any reservations at any hotels in Canada, he insisted I had and this is the number I gave him. When I pointed out he was wrong and furthermore this call was costing me money because it's a cell phone, he replied "F--- you!" and hung up.

    Don't you just love it????

    ReplyDelete