Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday

Game seven tonight. I'm going to watch. I'm going to stress out. I'm going to panic. I still don't think they are going to win. It's just a feeling. I can't explain it. Maybe it's just the Red Sox fan trying to insulate himself from another painful sports disappointment.

Maybe.

They have to find a way. They have to prove me wrong. The last two times they went to the Stanley Cup finals happened to coincide with a certain Edmonton Oiler's dynasty, even though the last time was against a Gretzky-free Oilers team. The Bruins actually won a game in that series, unlike the previous trip when the Gretzky-full Oilers swept them. The last time they made it to the third round they had the misfortune of running against a Penguins team who was on their way to the cup as well. (I think... I might have to double check that particular factoid... didn't the Penguins win it in 1992?)

It's been so long since the Bruins had a shot. They can't blow it now. They must beat Tampa Bay tonight. They must play like their lives depend on it, not just their season. We, the Bruins Nation, need them to win tonight. It's not a question of wanting it, we need it.

In an attempt to distract myself from the impending hockey doom, let me just state publicly that the Red Sox have scored more than 10 runs in each of their last two games, blowing out the Indians on Wednesday, and the Tigers on Thursday. They still trail the Yankees in the division, but only by 0.003 percentage points. A win tonight coupled with a Yankees loss puts us all alone in first place. That would make me happy. Not as happy as a Bruins win tonight (I would gladly trade a Red Sox win tonight for a Bruins win tonight), but pretty happy.

This weekend is Memorial Day weekend. I started an on-call period last night at 5:30. It lasts until 9:00am on Tuesday. This wonderful holiday weekend that marks the symbolic beginning of Summer will pretty much be a bust for me. The Bruins just can't lose and make it worse. They just can't.

Go Bruins!
Prove me wrong!
Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment