Friday, February 25, 2011

It Happens Today

The biopsy will happen today.

FINALLY

I spoke to John last evening and he said it was scheduled for 12:00. I spoke to Dad last night and he said 10:30. I don't know if it was changed or if there was a misunderstanding or if one refers to the operation and the other refers to the pre-operation.

I don't care.

It happens today. John also told me that they may start the first part of the treatment today even before the results come back from pathology. The first thing they'll do (if everything I've read on the Internet is correct... and everything on the Internet is true and honest and genuine... right?) give her steroids.

Bring it on. I want my mother to have enough steroids to let her hit clean up in the major leagues. This is the step in the therapy that is supposed to more or less eliminate the memory and confusion symptoms. I hope it works as quickly as they've lead us to believe. The kids really want to see her, but we're hoping she clears up a little before we bring them along.

I left work yesterday because I thought things were happening in the hospital. They weren't. I also had to run an errand for the kids' father. They are going on a cruise in a couple of months and the kids need passports, and the passport application needs a copy of our marriage license to show why Jen's name changed. I took care of that. I ended up being home in time to go with Jen to pick up the kids at their after school/school vacation program.

The kids saw Jen and me having a really rough time on Wednesday night. I didn't want them to see us getting so upset, but they did. My step son made presents for us in arts and crafts. My step daughter made us a hang-in-their-its-going-to-be-all-right card. I almost lost my shit and turned into a blubbering puddle of tears of happiness. They saw us being upset and went way out of their way to do something nice to cheer us up. They are the best two kids on the planet Earth. Bar none. I knew it all along, but they just dotted the i's and crossed the t's yesterday. It never ceases to amaze me that those two kids have taken me into their family the way they have. I am just a big tubba schlub but for some reason they seem to actually like me. I couldn't possibly be any happier. It's just amazing to me. I love them so much.

Anyway... what was I talking about before I was once again overwhelmed by how much I love my family and how ridiculously lucky I am?

Oh yeah...

Mom had a pretty good night last night. She was medicated pretty heavily and that might be the reason, but she was all right with Dad and John leaving at the end of visiting hours. There were no phone calls and no crying and no instances of the tumor taking over and being mean. Lisa and Mary also managed to get to the hospital for a while yesterday. Jen and I are planning to go tonight after work. We're going to have to drive in separately, which sucks, but we'll both be there.

I've been saying this since Monday morning, but hopefully soon we'll have some hard facts to work with.

Please?

Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment