Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Adventures Suck

I called my father when I got home last night, just to check in and see how the few hours since last I had spoken to him had gone.

He said that Mom was an adventure.

That's not good.

They took her across the street to Mass Eye and Ear to have her eyes checked. From what I pieced together, she has a cataract forming and they wanted to have that checked out before starting the chemo. I don't know if there could be interactions, but based on the little bit I read about the drug I think she's going to be taking it wouldn't surprise me.

This, again, is pieced together from a few different sources, none of whom were actual witnesses.

At some point during the exam no one was watching my mother. So she walked out. One of the things we're seeing a lot is that she is very often believing that she will be going home soon. Dad said at one point yesterday morning she got up and started pulling out clothes to wear home. I guess she had one of those moments during the eye exam and she just left the room to head home. In her hospital johnny. With her catheter still in.

At some point, I assume a very short time later, she realized she was lost and she called my sister in law, Mary. She said she didn't know where she was and she was scared. Mary didn't know that Mom had gone to Mass Eye and Ear (I guess it's just next door to Mass General. This is Boston after all. On any given street corner if you don't see a hospital you will probably see a college) so when Mom told her she was there she thought she was confused. She called John, who knew about the eye appointment, and he called Mass Eye and Ear's security. As security was locking the place down, some one saw her in the lobby, complete with johnny and catheter, and correctly surmised that she probably shouldn't have been there. Eventually, they got my mother back to where she was supposed to be.

Dad called it an adventure.

Adventures suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment