Friday, July 1, 2011

New Google Stuff

Has anyone used Google Music yet?

I've got the uploader running and files are definitely showing up in "the cloud," as the cool kids call it, but I haven't had much luck with the actual player. It keeps crashing on me. I know it worked once, when I first signed up for the service, but it isn't working today. How about using it via iOS? Anyone out there have any luck? I can get to it, but I can't get the player to play.

How about Google+? I am, of course, a total sucker for social networks so I am hoping to get in on the ground floor of this service. However, my doubts are twofold. First, Google hasn't done anything really interesting in the social networking department. Everything has paled to Facebook and Twitter. I am hopeful that things will be different this time, but that leads to my second doubt. I fear that Google+ is just going to be a front end tying together all of the currently existing Google products. I've heard that the chat function is just a fancied up Google Talk, and I also hear tell that the photo sharing function is just Picasa Online. I've already left that service once, am I going to get dragged back to it?

I consider myself a Google fanboy. My status as Apple fanboy definitely comes first, but I do try to get on the wagon whenever Google gives us something new to play with. Somehow though, I feel my interest waning. Hopefully these two services, Google Music and Google+, will get me back into the fold.... but I fear that Google+ will never equal Facebook, and Google Music will be blown out of the water by the new Apple music service.

We shall see.

***Quick Addendum***
Google Music is now playing on my office computer. I used the stand alone Music Manager program to upload a few hundred files (almost all of them by Rush, of course) and it took a long time as the routine fought with my anti-virus software the whole time. Once I had a nice haul uploaded, I tried using the service with Firefox and every click of the Play button was rewarded with an error message. I tried again using Chrome and, wonder of wonders, it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment