Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snow... continued... again

After yesterday's slightly-more-than-a-dusting it looks like we're going to get some real snow tomorrow. Here's what weather.com has for Methuen, MA:



They also have a local weather alert that has some fun info:

SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR ARE LIKELY FROM MID FRIDAY AFTERNOON INTO THE EARLY EVENING. ROADS DURING THE FRIDAY LATE DAY/EVENING COMMUTE WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND TREACHEROUS.


and

IT LOOKS AS THOUGH MOST OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND WILL RECEIVE 6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOWFALL BY MIDNIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT.


In the past my company has been pretty good about kicking everyone out of the office early when the weather is going to be bad. Last year that backfired in a huge way during one early season storm. My one hour drive between Framingham and Tewksbury took... took... was it four hours or six hours... I can't remember. Every business in the state let their people out early and they all hit the terrible roads at the same time. I was okay until the battery on my iPod died. I switched to Christmas music on the radio in an attempt to keep my spirits up, but almost as soon as I did that my windshield wipers started to freeze. I'm sure the drained battery on the iPod had nothing to do with the wipers, but you never know.

People around here are already asking their supervisors if they can leave early tomorrow or if they can cancel meetings just in case they have to leave early. We've been told not to ask to work from home because if one group lets their people do it everyone in every other groups is going to want to do it and our system can't handle 2,000+ remote connections. It'd be nice, but it isn't going to happen.

So we'll all go to work in the morning. Maybe the bright side will be that so many morning commuters will be scared off by the afternoon forecast that there won't be any traffic. That'd be nice. Hopefully everyone will just remember that they are New Englanders and New Englanders should know how to handle a little snow.

Still... I hope Jen's boss lets her telecommute tomorrow. I don't mind being stuck in the snow traffic, but I'd hate for it to happen to her.

.........

Update - 5:02pm
Five minutes after posting this one of the other supervisors in my group asked me if I could telecommute tomorrow. Snow/traffic problem solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment