Friday, December 5, 2008


Yup, we're going to that show...



Yup. We're going to that one too.

About 100 years ago... 1993... maybe a tad earlier. I started hearing Letters to Cleo on local music shows on various radio stations in Boston. Eventually I got my hands on a compilation CD that had a Cleo song called "Green Eggs" on it. I think the CD was called Crush, and I think it was on Cherrydisc, but I'm not sure. Around the same time there was also a single out that was "Here and Now" b/w "Rimshak". I didn't have a copy of that.

Then they released their first album, Aurora Gory Alice, on Cherrydisc records and I snagged a copy. Mike and Larry and I were all working at a gas station in Tewksbury together and I managed to have the radio on one station's local show on a Sunday night when Cleo was the guest. They liked what they heard too.

A few years later I went to see them at Hempfest on Boston Common. They headlined a massive show. It was approximately 9,999 stoners and me. It was my first Cleo show. The slew of pictures I am about to post come from a guy named Steve Latham. I do not know him, but his site is fan-freakin-tastic if you are a fan of Boston music. There are about 10 billion pictures of every band under the sun. Check it out.

Hempfest 1995... I was on the other side of the stage, a little further back.






After that it wasn't long before I managed to drag Mike and Larry to shows too. Eventually Letters to Cleo couldn't play in Boston without all of us being there. Then, sadly, after three records they split up. To the rest of the world they were probably a one hit wonder who were-in-that-movie-with-the-guy-who-played-Joker-in-The-Black-Knight.

But to us they were a major attraction. A big event. A must-not-miss show. Now, after a long time being gone they are getting back together for four shows. The first one was last month in L.A.. The next two are next week at The Paradise in Boston. The place where we saw them a hundred times. (okay, it was probably more like 3 or 4, but allow me to romanticize my fanboy behavior just a little.) Then they end it with one in New York. No accounting for taste I guess.


Jen, Larry, Mike, and I are going to both shows. Nawal is going to one. We're still trying to get rid of a few more tickets. I think we have 2 for the first night and 1 for the second but I might have that backwards.

The show posters and the next two pictures come from the band's myspace page. I don't know if that's an "official" page or not, but it gets the job done. They posted some promo shots for the reunion tour, complete with new bassist Joe Klompus... I hope I spelled that right. He plays in Kay's solo band when they play in Boston. I don't know if he's in it in Los Angeles too. He used to play for Jack Drag as well.





and I'll leave you with a few songs including their Christmas song which you can get from their myspace page. Enjoy

... and we'll see you at the Paradise on Monday and Tuesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment