Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jeff Beck

The New York Times did a nice article on Jeff Beck last week. Check it out right here.

It's more of a story than an interview as there is very little comment from Beck himself. Most of the quotes come from people who know him and who worship the ground his guitar playing walks on.

Count me among them.

When I was a kid I was playing saxophone in school but what I really wanted to do was play guitar. There were about 5-10 guitar players who caused that need in me. The big three were the usual big three, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page. (with significant contributions from Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Alex Lifeson, and a few others.)

My interest in Jimmy Page has pretty much disappeared. My interest in Clapton has never lessened, but most of his work from the 70's and 80's did nothing for me.

Jeff Beck has always been hit or miss. Not as a guitar player, but as a recording artist. He has never really put together two great albums in a row, but in most cases (specifically all but one track on the album Flash... urgh) even the duds had redeeming qualities.

Do you like heavy rock? Listen to Truth.
Do you like motown style R&B? Listen to Rough and Ready
Do you like fusion? Listen to Blow by Blow and Wired
Do you like electronic music? Listen to Who Else

He is #1 on the list of guitar players I want to see before I (or he) die(s). Hopefully when the new record comes out and he tours the US in the Spring I will get a chance to see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment