Monday, February 15, 2010

Wandering Around Methuen on a Day Off

I went wandering around Methuen today in celebration of President's Day. How the two things are related I don't know. I just know I wanted to visit a couple of the places I have been wanting to take my camera too over the last couple of months.

The last time I did this I had a point and shoot Kodak camera. Nothing special. This time I brought a smoking Nikon D90. A real camera.

The photos that follow answer the age old question: Does the camera take great pictures or does the photographer?

The answer is clearly the photographer. These pictures are flat and bland and lifeless. If I actually knew how to compose a photo and actually execute the taking of the photograph then these would be really good. But, I am not. I want to find a how-to-not-take-boring-pictures tutorial or something but I don't have the time to do that. Someday. Until then, you'll have to settle for these.

I used to know the story behind this. This was supposed to be a supremely ornate entrance gate to a very wealthy man's huge home, but it was never finished. Now it's two huge columns off to the side of a funeral home.
DSC_0001

I am starting to think my left leg is a ton shorter than my right. All of my pictures lean.
DSC_0004

DSC_0008

There is a cemetery near our house called Walnut Grove Cemetery. It dates back to the 19th century. I can't recall if it was founded by one of the town's most famously wealthy individuals, or if he and his family just sank a lot of money into it. I drive by this place whenever I can. There is something about it that draws me to it. It's much more opulent than the usual cemetery. Many of the plots have markers for families along with smaller markers for individual members of those families. Something about this place just appeals to me somehow.

Inside there is a tall marker that appears to be a memorial to townspeople who fought in the Civil War. It is a tall marker with a soldier on the top and it always catches my eye.
DSC_0018

DSC_0026

The family name associated to the cemetery, and many of the notable places in town is Tenney. This marker is right next to a chapel that is called Tenney Chapel.
DSC_0028

Speaking of Tenney Chapel...
DSC_0035

The bell on top of the chapel.
DSC_0049

The chapel gate.
DSC_0038

DSC_0052

Another cemetery gate.
DSC_0061

See what I mean about flat and lifeless? See also what I mean about a family marker surrounded by markers for individual family members?
DSC_0065

I like the steps leading up to the plot as well.
DSC_0069

DSC_0073

A few times I managed to take a picture of the car as well as whatever I was taking pictures of. Like I said, bad photographer.
DSC_0080

DSC_0083

Nice roof.
DSC_0089

DSC_0098

The Tenney family tomb.
DSC_0108

DSC_0111

DSC_0123

DSC_0124

DSC_0131

The Spicket River runs alongside the Methuen Music Hall and there's another waterfall! I had no idea.
DSC_0134

At one point in the past some one who owned a ton of land in town took to building stone walls and various castle-like elements. I knew that story once too but can't recall the details. It doesn't matter other than to note there are structures that look quite a bit like battlements near this waterfall.
DSC_0143

The bridge is route 28.
DSC_0151

Some of the structures are in better shape than others.
DSC_0162

DSC_0165

DSC_0184

DSC_0191

Here is the music hall.
DSC_0194

Over on the other side of the rotary on route 110 there is a restaurant called Jacksons. Right behind the restaurant is the Merrimack River. You can get right to the river bank from the parking lot. I drove past the other day while looking for a florist shop that isn't there and saw some really cool ice flows on the river. Of course they were gone today, but I did get to see some seagulls (aka rats with wings).
DSC_0196

DSC_0202

The bridge is route 93.
DSC_0211

DSC_0219

DSC_0231

I followed that gull as it flew past me and managed to look, though the camera lens, directly into the sun. I was still seeing spots half an hour later.
DSC_0245

DSC_0246

DSC_0257

DSC_0263

And now that my little photographic President's day excursion is over I will celebrate the history of the USA's highest office in a more fitting way. Folding Laundry!

God Bless America!

3 comments:

  1. wonderful photoessay. yes the columns were part of Searles mansion's entrance, i think he bought them a the 1876 centennial expo. I don't have near as many images of the cemetery as you do. those are great. most of the turrets have been restored, i wish they would finish the rest of them. thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Searles! I spent half the day trying to remember his name. It was right on the tip of my tongue the whole time but I couldn't get it out of my head.

    Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really wouldn't print that. if you can't remember searles, nevins and tenney i think they ask you to leave town. Tenney is the name of the chapel in the Cemetery, btw

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Methuen-Common/146365039790?ref=ts

    http://methuencommon.com/2010/02/methuen-photo-essay-from-local-blogger/

    ReplyDelete