Thursday, September 29, 2011

Just Like Old Times

Hey Hey, the Gang's All Here... again.

Just like the ol' days.

Some things never change.

Red Sox = Choke.  Again.

I have seen some classic chokes in professional sports.  I rank the Red Sox in September of 2011 third behind the Bruins 3-0 playoff collapse against Philly in 2010 and the Yankees 3-0 playoff collapse against the Red Sox in 2004.  Those two were clearly as bad as it gets, although from my point of view one was a whole ton more fun to watch than the other.

This one though... they blew a nine game lead in less than 30 days.  It's pathetic beyond pathetic.  It's as bad as Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone, it's as bad as the ball rolling between Buckner's legs and Pesky double pumping the relay.  It's as painful as Williams hurting his hand in an exhibition game the day before the start of the World Series.  It's as bad as Yaz hitting a pop up to third to end the one game playoff.

I really thought that post 2004 I would not feel the pain of such things the way I did pre 2004.  I was wrong.  This sucks.  I stayed up for the whole thing last night.  Rain delay and all.  I felt that it was going wrong when Papplebon gave up the first two out double in the bottom of the ninth.  The best closer we've ever had was clearly setting himself up to choke.  When the second double came and Baltimore tied it, I knew there was no way in hell the Red Sox would win.  I just wanted the end to come quick, and sure enough it did.

There was technically still hope at that point.  Tampa Bay and the Yankees were still playing, but I knew without a shadow of a doubt that Tampa Bay was going to win.  Given their two outs and two strikes game tying pinch hit home run it was clear that karma was with them and they could not lose.  It was just a matter of time.

The Red Sox lost but they still had a chance if Tampa Bay would lose too, WEEI goes to commercial, WEEI comes back from commercial and informs us that Tampa Bay won.  The epic collapse... the choke of all chokes... was complete.

This morning there are Atlanta Braves fans feeling similar pain, but their collapse was only 8.5 games.  Ours was nine.  The Braves were bad but the Red Sox were worse.

Just like old times.

No comments:

Post a Comment