Friday, September 25, 2009

iPhone MMS

Well, it's finally here. Welcome to 2002 everyone!

Finally, after being the laughing stock of the smart phone universe, AT&T has activated Multimedia Messaging Services for the iPhone. I went into iTunes a little after 1:00pm and took the tiny little update that gave me the MMS option under Messages. I then had to reboot the phone (no one told me that, I guessed it) and there it was. I had MMS enabled.

I then took the most recent picture I had taken (Jen perusing the menu at The 99 the other night) and pic messaged it to Jen.

She didn't get it.

She has an iPhone too, of course, and hadn't set up the MMS yet. I expected her to get the usual You-Have-Received-A-Picture-Message-Go-Here-To-Get-It bullshit message we got prior to this update but she didn't get that either.

So this functionality has been on the phone itself since June. AT&T blocked it because they didn't think their network could handle it. They then spent three months beefing up their systems so that it could handle the additional data transfers and the very first time I try it... it fails.

Nice.

I foresee the end of a certain exclusivity deal in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment