Monday, September 28, 2009

Two Additional Items from Last Night

Okay, two more brief things from last night.

Well, inspired by last night as the case may be.

I have been scouring the Internet for a police log for the Methuen police department. I want to know if anything came of our call. I want to know if two nitwits got busted messing with people's parked cars. It's the 21st century and I have become quite accustomed to getting tons and tons of information at the touch of a button. I cannot, however, find any logs for the Methuen police department for yesterday or any other day. I was hoping the Lawrence Eagle Tribune would have one but they appear to suck even worse than the Lowell Sun. (Maybe someday I'll write another hate filled post about how the Lowell Sun nearly destroyed my beloved UMass Lowell college radio station, 91.5FM WUML, a few years ago. Not today though.)

So in this age of instantly available information, I cannot find a Methuen police log. I am saddened by this. Google and the area newspaper sites have let me down.

The second thing is more along the lines of weird coincidences that really don't mean anything but just feel freaky at the time.

What was I reading last night? I was reading Duma Key by Stephen King.

Last week I wrote a little thing about how I loved reading the horror novels of Clive Barker. I said something along the lines of the only horror writer I still read regularly is Stephen King and how Stephen King hasn't done anything all that scary in a long time.

Leave it to last night for me to stumble upon King's return to form.

I have been reading Duma Key a little at a time for a very long time. I bought it in hard cover almost as soon as it was published. I would read a few dozen pages, put it down and read something else for a while, and then go back and read a few dozen more pages... wash rinse repeat.

A couple of nights ago I got back into it. It isn't bad. It's generally pretty good. I just keep having something more interesting pop up and I sort of lose track of it. One thing it has going for it is creepiness. It is a spooky story.

Last night after Jen and I had settled down enough to go back to bed I picked it up and started reading it again. Maybe ten minutes later the main character walks down a flight of stairs late at night in the dark. He looks out his picture window and sees what can best be described as a ghost ship sailing in the Gulf of Mexico. That was creepy. He turns on the light and standing right in front of him is what can only be described as a zombie who had broken into the house in order to get him.

Yeah, that scared the shit out of me.

You've still got it Mr King. Bless your heart, you've still got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment