Friday, January 29, 2010

Happy Bonus Day

Today is that magical day for people who work for the company I work for. Today is the annual bonus day. There are a lot of smiling co-workers this morning.

Of course mine is already gone. Our monstrous debt is being firmly kicked in the shins today. Well worth it. Take that you mountain of debt that is keeping us from buying a house! One big step closer to the big goals, but still many more steps to go.

I just did something I've never done. I unfriended a Facebook friend. Over the last two Rush tours in 2007-08 I met a lot of cool people by hanging around The Rush Forum site. After a while many of those people ended up on Facebook, and I still occasionally get a friend request either from one of the people I met, or some one who read something I posted (although I haven't been on the forum in quite a while) or some one who knows some one I know... that sort of thing.

I got one of those friend requests the other day and I accepted it. Only to find that the person apparently sits at a computer all day (not a bad thing, I do it too) and posts snippets of Rush lyrics as status messages... every 5-10 minutes or so. As if this person is listening to Rush (nothing wrong with that) and transcribing the lyrics into status updates. The end result is that my newsfeed is filled with posts from one person and I either can't find or just plain miss anything posted by anyone else. On top of that, this person has filled up a few photo albums with pictures of Rush, and changes their default picture to a different picture of Rush a few times a day.

Listen, no one is a more obsessive Rush fan than I am, but what you're doing is beyond obnoxious. I know the lyrics to all of their songs. I know what the individual members look like so I don't need to see their photos as your profile picture. Let them put those pictures as their own profile pictures. I will admit that I have a shite load of Rush pictures on my account, but they are pictures that I took myself not pictures that were published in a magazine in 1978. I don't need you to continuously barrage my newsfeed with some one else's words/thoughts/images. BAM! You have been unfriended.

I feel mean, but gimme a freakin' break.

I was going to write something else but I went and got all distracted. What was I saying? I don't know. If I remember I'll post it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment