Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday... The Upside?

Sometimes Monday morning can be a good thing. Actually, sometimes punching in at the office on Monday morning can be a good thing. You wouldn't think so, but in one case it is. Today is an example of that one case.

What's the one time when getting to work on a Monday is a good thing?

When it officially marks the end of an on call weekend, that's when.

Now granted, it's just a little bit better than the usual horrible Monday start to the work week, but at least when I go home tonight I will be able to turn my phone off if I want to. Hell, if I want to go out after work tonight I can without stressing that the phone will ring.

Last night we beat the on call blues by having some people come over for a visit. My friend Mike is about to have stomach surgery (in a month or so) and will shortly be going on an extremely restrictive diet. So as a sort of last hurrah a Border Cafe trip was planned for yesterday. I couldn't go. Jen and I stayed home and worked on a code project. I happily got our .net project to connect to our SQL Server database and return a row of data. Granted, all I did was follow a list of instructions my brilliant wife gave me. She then walked me through a unit test. Something I've technically never done. I have done the equivalent, but I have never automated it. MS .net has that capability built in. It was pretty cool, I must say.

After the Border Run was complete most of the group came over to our house to hang out. Mike, the guest of honor, had to go back to work, which sucked, but Tammy and their daughter were there, as was Larry, Nawal, and their baby. We watched Cars, we hung out, we had a nice night. Thanks to all of them for coming over.

No comments:

Post a Comment