Thursday, June 7, 2012

Clockwork Angels is Coming

The word on the Rush fanboy street is that the entire Clockwork Angels album, whose official release date is Tuesday June 12, has been leaked onto the internet.  I have thus far resisted the temptation ("I can learn to resist anything but temptation."  Yes, I just dropped a Rush lyric into a parenthetical aside in the middle of a sentence.  Who's a fanboy?) to get my grubby mitts on a copy.  My resistance is waning though.  I may not make it through today.

It turns out that the band is streaming the title track on its Facebook page.  I just caved and listened to it.  The simple review is that this particular song is totally worth the two year wait we had to endure to hear it.  That's the first thought I had on the first (and so far only) listen.  As it meandered through it's seven plus minute run time a second thought came to mind.  This thought is much harder to convey considering it's a song by a band that makes Rock music on the heavy side and that my personal taste in their music can sometimes be described as the heavier the better.  The song isn't terribly heavy, although it has a nice and heavy monster of a riff that comes and goes, but it is... what's the word... it is... Beautiful.  As hard as it is to reconcile using that word to describe a song by this band... that's the proper word.  The song is beautiful.  It is a rock song, yes it is, although it is a rock song with a nice and swinging 6/8 groove... and it's beautiful.  I've never used that word to describe anything by Rush before, but there you have it.  I'm guessing 7 billion humans will think I'm a retard, but I call them as I hear them, and the song Clockwork Angels by Rush is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment