Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Greatness Achieved

I said yesterday morning that the day had a high potential for being great. Little did we know how prophetic that statement would be.

The kids came over a little before eight. It was still mighty cold out so we put off the bike riding for a while and went downstairs to the mini-living room and watched a movie. It was the first time any of us had seriously put the set up down there to use. After the movie ended it was still too cold to go outside. The kids took a pile of toys into the cellar to play with and I grabbed a DVD for myself. It was an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. I plopped onto the couch while the kids were behind me playing on the floor. I think it took about 15-20 minutes before the kids were on the couch with me laughing their butts off. It was beautiful. They were laughing at the jokes they got, and a lot of the jokes they didn't get, and by the time we reached the last segment they were joining in and trying to make jokes of their own. I don't know if I've ever been so proud!

After that we had a quick lunch and headed out to the street. My step daughter is a bike riding pro now. She just hopped on and took off. My step son is still having problems getting started. If we give him a push he rides pretty well, although he hasn't gotten the knack of turning yet. If we don't give him a push he struggles a bit. He was determined to get off on his own though, and there was one glorious time where he did it all by himself. Neither of us could figure out exactly what he did differently on that one try and he wasn't able to do it again, but I was ready to explode I was so proud and happy for him.

When they tired of the bikes we played a couple of card and board games while sitting outside on the front steps. It was great. I am pretty sure that is the longest I've ever seen them play outside. It was really great to see. The day was beautiful and we had a blast.

Eventually, as the afternoon wore on, it started getting chilly so we went back to the cellar. As luck would have it, Disney Channel was just starting a movie that they liked so they watched a little of that until it was time for Daddy to come and get them. We managed a little silliness upstairs with Mom before the end which was just like the perfect cap to the prefect day off.

Or so we though. hehe

While we were out bike riding I got a phone call. My sister in law was heading to the hospital and it was looking like her baby was going to be born a little earlier than anyone thought. Just after 4:00pm John and Mary had their second baby. A boy. Jen and I headed over to the hospital to meet him as soon as we could and we were both lucky enough to get to hold him for a few minutes. He is a handsome little devil.

I had made it to 37 years old without either of my siblings having kids. Now at 39 I have two nephews and a niece, and my sister is due to have her second baby in February. It's like a baby bonanza! With my two step kids, my brother's two kids, and my sister soon to have two kids my parents went from zero to six grandchildren practically overnight!

Congratulations to Mary and John on their beautiful little baby. (and thanks for letting me hold him! WOOHOOO!)

No comments:

Post a Comment