Monday, October 18, 2010

Panache Update

Oh my dear readers, I fear you are all (both) going to get sick of the kitty updates very quickly.

But...

Here is a kitty update.

I said before that we let the cat out of the carrier in our bedroom and she darted under the bed and refused to come out. If we took turns lying on the floor being quiet and very patient she would come out for a few seconds, let us pet her, and then go back into hiding.

We gave up the neighborhood watch during dinner and she poked her head into the dining room a couple of times. During one visit Jen managed to pick her up and show her where the litter box and the food bowls were. She didn't seem to have much interest though and went back under the bed.

Just before 8:00 last night, Jen and my step son were in our room planning to sit on the bed and do a little reading before his bed time. While they were sitting there the cat jumped up on the bed and stayed with them. She seemed pretty hungry for attention but they were afraid of spooking her again so they were very quiet and gentle with her. My step daughter and I both got to quietly enter the room and visit with Ms Panache as well.

After both kids had gone to bed Jen and I stayed in our room under the pretense of a reading date, but really we were just spending quality bonding time with our new roomie. She was very quiet for the most part. When we went to sleep she stayed up on the bed between us, despite the danger of having me roll over on her. I didn't though, I was careful... and I didn't sleep much because of it.

On one occasion she stared head butting my hand, pretty much demanding me to pet her. I did for a minute or so and she was happy with that. On another occasion she started meowing pretty loud. She had actually left the bed and was standing by the bedroom door. I thought maybe she needed help finding the litter box again so I picked her up (awkwardly) and carried her to them. She wasn't interested, although she did take a little time to look around before going back to the bed.

This morning she let the kids shower her with more attention for a while and she did leave the bedroom again. Just before we left she had been in the living room with the kids and something spooked her. She regressed a little and ended up hiding under the couch. We tried to coax her out for a few minutes before leaving but she wanted nothing of it.

Now that she's home alone she has probably propped open the fridge and eaten all of our food, and climbed up the wall to the phone to make some long distance calls... ya know, that sort of thing.

We're trying to think of a name that is better than Panache. I told the kids we would all have to agree on a new name if we are going to change it. If you feel like giving us some ideas, please feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment