Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween is Almost Here

It's almost Halloween, the time of year where spooks and scary things come out to play. There will be some scary stuff happening at our house tonight. At least scary for the grown ups.

For the first time... ever, as far as I know... the kids are having friends over.

Be Afraid!

My step daughter has been to a couple of sleep overs recently. She let it be known that she wanted to have one of her own. Her little brother, obviously, wanted one too.

So we told them they could have one. Two friends each on the same night. We set the date. That date has come. Tonight.

The plans have changed significantly though. None of the invited kids were going to be allowed to stay over. That was not only understandable, but more or less expected. So the sleep over morphed into a mini-party. I keep trying to get the kids to tell me what they want to do, but they don't know. I think they are both planning on playing it by ear. I know my step son is very excited about bringing toys to the cellar and having his part of the party there. I don't know what my step daughter wants to do, but I am assuming it's upstairs. I sort of expect to see all six kids around the kitchen table playing games or something, but what do I know... I'm a grown up!

The Halloween festivities will continue tomorrow... I think. I just heard that the kids have been invited to a party tomorrow night that will include trick or treating. Not every town in the Merrimack Valley has their trick or treating on Halloween night. Haverhill, MA usually (I think) has it on the Saturday before.

Then on Sunday we'll test out our new neighborhood for it's trick or treating goodness. There aren't many kids on our street so I don't know if we'll have a lot of trick or treating luck. We'll have to see. I am on call Sunday night and I am really hoping my phone stays quiet for the whole day, but especially between 5-7pm when we're out hunting for candy.

***change of subject***

Is Fox still advertising that the World Series will be a pitchers duel? 11-7 in game one and 9-0 in game two? Did I hear correctly that Texas walked in two runners in the ninth inning yesterday? Yeah, that's great pitching right there. The Giants lead the series two games to none and the Rangers have on occasion looked like they are already beaten. If Nolan Ryan doesn't personally threaten to beat the entire roster into a bloody pulp soon I think this one might be a sweep. Hey Rangers, you have to win one game to get Cliff Lee back on the mound. Why don't we take care of that in game three, huh? Okay, thanks.

***change of subject again***

I didn't watch the first two hours of the World Series last night. I watched the Bruins. There was a time in my past when I would never even have considered watching the Bruins while the World Series was on, but... you know... Texas vs San Francisco? Naw, I'll take the Bruins and Maple Leafs.

My wife is a Phil Kessel fan so I have to tone it down a bit here... Did you see the game? Did you see how scared Phil the Thrill was looking while he was on the ice? It's not like he was a hitting machine when he played here, but still. He played like some one who was always hearing footsteps rushing up behind him. He just looked scared, I don't know how else to put it. I do know that it made me happy. That's what you get when you're a tween (practically) playing in the NHL and you tell your GM that you want to play for some one else. There was one shift (that NESN highlighted during the post game show) where I really thought Shawn Thornton was going to grab poor Phil and break him in half.

And when Seguin scored? What did the best sports fans in the universe do? They chanted, "Thank you, Kessel." That's what they did. Yes, Boston is the best place to be a sports fan. Thank you to all of those who were in the Garden last night. That was priceless.

As for the game? Boston wins 2-0. Tim Thomas is now 5-0 with two shutouts. Is the Vezina winning Tim Thomas back? Oh yes, the Vezina winning Tim Thomas was back. He was diving and flopping and flying around the crease last night like a man possessed. Like he did two years ago. Like he didn't last year. It was wonderful to see. Toronto played well too and that made me angry. I want them in the cellar again. I want them in the cellar now. Thomas is 5-0. Rask is 0-2. I think the secret to this Bruins season is pretty clear: Play Tim Thomas.

Go Bruins
Go Rangers
Happy Halloween (two days early)

No comments:

Post a Comment