Thursday, November 17, 2011

New School

Today was the first school day that the kids woke up at our house since their Dad moved.  The morning routine needed to change accordingly.  We all got up earlier (urgh) and left the house earlier so that we could get to Daddy's which is now further away.  We left the house at 7:05 and I got to work at about 8:45.  That should be doable.  The only downside is that after a few weeks we'll start getting lazy and slow in the morning and we'll be leaving at 7:10... then 7:15... then 7:20... and so on and so forth.

I tried to get the kids talking about their experiences at the new school.  I never had to change school systems so I don't know how tough it really is, but I do remember kids coming into our schools and having trouble with it.

Q: What is your favorite part of the new school?
A: The special classes (art, music, ect) and playing team handball in gym.

Q: What is your least favorite part of the new school?
A: Whole wheat bagels and recess is only 20 minutes.

Q: Are there any school subjects that you are doing in class that you hadn't started at your old school?
A: Negative numbers and Geography.

Q: How are the other kids treating you?
A: Fine, everyone is nice.

I also asked my step daughter if she had started saxophone lessons at the new school and she said she hadn't and wasn't sure how to go about starting.  I recommended she ask her teacher.  I asked about chorus too and got the same response.  I told her to ask about that as well, but that she might have to wait until after the Christmas concert before she can join.

The one issue my step son was having was that he still doesn't have his lunch ticket yet.  His sister does, and yesterday the lunch lady found him in the computer system, so he should be all set.  He just needs to ask his teacher how to get the card.

Obviously I have been worried about how they are going to handle the new school work and the new rules, and how the other kids would treat them.  I think they are the two best kids in the universe and I want everyone else to agree with me.  I insist that everyone else agree with me.  Still, changing schools can be tough and I want them to succeed, so I am going to keep needling them for information.  Today they were very open and up front with me.  There was no shyness when they answered my questions.  There was no anger or stress in their answers.  They seem to be cool with the whole situation.  That's a huge relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment