Monday, November 21, 2011

Random Thoughts at Lunch Time

I mentioned the other day that I bought into iTunes Match.  I tried setting it up the other night.  I had 23,000 or so files in my library.  Over 19,000 of those can be matched... I think.  The reason I say I think is that I saw a message along those lines pop onto my iTunes screen just before it crashed.  Well, just before it crashed one of the times.  I continuously try to get the Match process underway.  The first time it hung up on me while searching for matches.  The next 10 or so times it crashed either as the matching step is completing, or as the upload is starting.  I am getting seriously pissed off.  I haven't had a chance to poke around the interwebs looking for people bitching about similar problems, but I doubt I'm the only one.

One more brief mention of last night's band practice.  When I was in high school I played in my first cover band.  By the time I hit music school I didn't want to play covers anymore.  I didn't do it again until 2002.  Things are so much different here in the 21st century than they were back in the stone age of the late 80's and early 90's.  When I was young and the band wanted to play a new cover, we all had to sit down and try to learn the song by ear.  Occasionally we would admit defeat and go to a music store and try to buy sheet music, but usually not.  We also had to share tapes of the songs with each other so that everyone could have a copy to try and learn from.  Today we don't have those troubles.  Today if you want to hear a song you can go to YouTube, or search myspace music, or just Google the title.  If you can't figure out a song by ear you can Google the title along with the word "tabs" and in almost every case you will get a link to a guitar or bass tableture that you can use to easily learn the gist of the song.  It's so easy now.  How did we manage when we were kids?  It seems like so much extra work!

The Bruins are playing the Canadiens tonight.  It was a pair of losses to Montreal that marked the low point of Boston's horrible 3-7 start to the season.  Since losing that second game they have gone 8-0 and managed to jump from last place in the Eastern Conference all the way up to a playoff spot.  Let us hope that the win streak continues and we put Montreal back into their place. 

In other hockey news, Sidney Crosby is going to play tonight after having been out of the Penguins line up since January.  This is great news for hockey fans, as the league finally gets its best player back.  It's bad news for Eastern Conference hockey fans as now the already excellent Penguins are going to get 10 times better.  I don't expect him to put up MVP numbers tonight, but I also don't expect it to be too terribly long before he starts.  As much as I loathe seeing Pittsburgh win, I am very happy to see him back.  Now if we could just get Marc Savard back too.  Hang in there, Savy!

As for the Red Sox... Really?  Bobby Valentine?  Really?  Ummm... Really?

Urgh.

I for one was not sad to see Dale Svuem (spelling?) go to the Cubs.  I still remember his stint as the Red Sox third base coach in 2004 and 2005 and I can only imagine that if he's the overall boss we'd be seeing him having base runners trying to score from second base on bunts.  Hey Dale, would it kill ya to put up a stop sign just once?

But at the same time... Bobby Valentine?  Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment