Monday, April 13, 2009

PLAYOFFS!!!!!

The only thing that sucks about this year's NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs is that we have to wait until Thursday for the start of the Boston vs Montreal rematch.

Last year the Bruins were seeded 8th and the Habs were seeded 1st. It went to seven games and the B's came oh so close to embarrassing the hated Canadiens with a first round exit. Sadly the Bruins couldn't take that seventh game.

This year the Bruins are seeded 1st and the Canadiens are seeded 8th. As always, my optimism is of the cautious variety, but I am definitely picking the Bruins in the first round, and this year I'm not doing it out of loyalty, I'm doing it because the Bruins are clearly the better team.

Here is the schedule of games for all 8 series, from NHL.com:

2009 EASTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS

SERIES A
#1 Boston vs. #8 Montreal
Network
Thursday, April 16 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS
Saturday, April 18 at Boston, 8:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Monday, April 20 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS
Wednesday, April 22 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS
*Saturday, April 25 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS
*Monday, April 27 at Montreal, TBD CBC, RDS
*Wednesday, April 29 at Boston, TBD CBC, RDS

SERIES B
#2 Washington vs. #7 New York Rangers
Network
Wednesday, April 15, at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN
Saturday, April 18 at Washington, 1:00 p.m. NBC, TSN
Monday, April 20 at New York, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
Wednesday, April 22 at New York, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
*Friday, April 24 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, TSN, RDS
*Sunday, April 26 at New York, 2:00 p.m. NBC, TSN, RDS
*Tuesday, April 28 at Washington, TBD VERSUS, TSN, RDS

SERIES C
#3 New Jersey vs. #6 Carolina
Network
Wednesday, April 15 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN, RIS
Friday, April 17 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN, RIS
Sunday, April 19 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. TSN, RIS
Tuesday, April 21 at Carolina, 7:30 p.m. TSN, RIS
*Thursday, April 23 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN, RIS
*Sunday, April 26 at Carolina, TBD TSN, VERSUS
*Tuesday, April 28 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN

SERIES D
#4 Pittsburgh vs. #5 Philadelphia
Network
Wednesday, April 15 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Friday, April 17 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Sunday, April 19 at Philadelphia, 3:00 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS
Tuesday, April 21 at Philadelphia, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Thursday, April 23 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Saturday, April 25 at Philadelphia, 3:00 p.m. NBC, CBC
*Monday, April 27 at Pittsburgh, TBD VERSUS, CBC

2009 WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS

SERIES E
#1 San Jose vs. #8 Anaheim
Network
Thursday, April 16 at San Jose, 10:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Sunday, April 19 at San Jose, 10:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Tuesday, April 21 at Anaheim, 10:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Thursday, April 23 at Anaheim, 10:30 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Saturday, April 25 at San Jose, 10:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Monday, April 27 at Anaheim, TBD VERSUS, CBC, RDS
*Wednesday, April 29 at San Jose, TBD VERSUS, CBC, RDS

SERIES F
#2 Detroit vs. #7 Columbus
Network
Thursday, April 16 at Detroit, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
Saturday, April 18 at Detroit, 6:00 p.m. TSN
Tuesday, April 21 at Columbus, 7:00 p.m. TSN
Thursday, April 23 at Columbus, 7:00 p.m. TSN
*Saturday, April 25 at Detroit, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, TSN
*Monday, April 27 at Columbus, TBD TSN
*Wednesday, April 29 at Detroit, TBD VERSUS, TSN

SERIES G
#3 Vancouver vs. #6 St. Louis
Network
Wednesday, April 15 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS, RDS
Friday, April 17 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS, RDS
Sunday, April 19 at St. Louis, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
Tuesday, April 21 at St. Louis, 8:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS
*Friday, April 24 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS, RDS
*Sunday, April 26 at St. Louis, 8:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS, RDS
*Tuesday, April 28 at Vancouver, TBD CBC, VERSUS, RDS

SERIES H
#4 Chicago vs. #5 Calgary
Network
Thursday, April 16 at Chicago, 8:30 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
Saturday, April 18 at Chicago, TBD TSN
Monday, April 20 at Calgary, 9:30 p.m. TSN, VERSUS
Wednesday, April 22 at Calgary, TBD TSN, VERSUS
*Saturday, April 25 at Chicago, 10:00 p.m. TSN, RIS
*Monday, April 27 at Calgary, TBD TSN
*Wednesday, April 29 at Chicago, TBD TSN


- * denotes if necessary
- All Times are Eastern Standard Time


Okay then, you've waited all year... here are my out-of-my-ass First Round Playoff Predictions!

Easter Conference first, of course.

Boston vs Montreal:
I will never be confident picking the Bruins over the Canadiens. There are too many examples of much better Bruins teams getting their hearts ripped out by a bunch of bitches called Canadiens. Still, this year Boston has dominated. I pick the Bruins. Again, not just because they are my home town team, but because they are the better team.

Washington vs New York:
Part of me wanted New York to finish 8th so the Bruins would get them instead of Montreal. I hate New York. It will be a pleasure to watch the Capitals destroy them. Hopefully in four games, but probably not more than five. I pick Washington.

New Jersey vs Carolina:
Interesting series. The Hurricanes were unreal down the stretch. The Devils were unreal just before the stretch and then came unglued at the end. I think the Hurricanes win this, but I expect New Jersey to put up a good fight. I'd like to see this one go seven games. I pick Carolina.

Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia:
I love it when arch rivals meet in the post season. (see Boston vs Montreal) I think Pittsburgh had the better team and I am going with them this time. Not just because if my predictions pan out we'll see a Crosby vs Ovetchkin second round series. I pick the Penguins.

Western Conference

San Jose vs Anaheim:
I've gone with San Jose each of the last two or three years. I think they are the best team in the league, and I think they've been the best team for quite a while. Yet they still seem to make me look like a chump every time I pick them. At least in the second round. In the first round I've always been right. Sorry Anaheim but you're going to get your asses handed to you. I pick San Jose to breeze through this series. (next round though... there might be a change)

Detroit vs Columbus:
Congratulations to the Blue Jackets! Way to go! Finally, for the first time in franchise history you get to go to the dance! Excellent job! Now as a reward you get to lose four straight games to one of the greatest teams in human history, the Detroit Red Wings! Enjoy it while you can! I pick Detroit in a laugher. No offense Columbus. I really am proud of you.

Vancouver vs St. Louis:
Every year I try to make at least one ridiculously stupid upset prediction. This is it. Lots of people are picking Vancouver to win in the west. Why? Because they are a great team and they are playing on fire right now. Me? I'm picking The Blues. Granted their proverbial wad is probably shot just getting to the post season, never mind jumping up to the sixth seed. Still, I am jumping on the St. Louis bandwagon (in the first round at least) and I am picking them to totally upset the much better Vancouver Canucks.

Chicago vs Calgary:
I'm a Calgary fan. I am not a Chicago fan. Chicago is probably a slightly better team, but I am going to pick the Flames again. It would be an upset from the standing's point of view, but probably not that big of an upset. I like 'em, I'm pickin' 'em. Flames in seven.

There you have it, my totally uninformed 2009 NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Predictions. I can't friggin wait until Thursday!!!! (Wednesday too... the playoffs themselves start Wednesday, but the big game is Boston vs Montreal on Thursday.)

It's going to be a lot of fun, as always.

GO BRUINS!

No comments:

Post a Comment