Friday, March 12, 2010

Sniffle... Uh Oh

This morning I had tons of motivation. I got up at 5:10 and went to the cellar to record some guitar parts. Yeah! Get working lard boy!

I did laundry.

Maybe tomorrow.

Motivation appears to be quite the fleeting thing for your humble narrator.

So as I've mentioned in previous posts Jen spent much of this past week suffering through a brutal cold. She missed work a couple of times and had to work from home another couple of times. She went to work this morning but is still under the weather a bit. Also over the past few days my step daughter has been dealing with a cold too. Not as severe as her mother's but still pretty annoying.

This morning, while I was supposed to be rocking along with the rhythm tracks for lame song #1, I started sniffling. Here we are about four hours later and I'm still sniffling.

Uh oh.

I am going to have a positive outlook about this. I have full confidence in my immune system to fight off what ever buggies may be invading my system on a molecular level. Sic 'em white blood cells!

The Bruins won last night. I guess all it took to wake up the offense was having your best forward take a cheap shot from behind that more likely than not ends his season and in the worst case may result in permanent brain damage only to find out that the prick who hit him in the head from behind won't be suspended by the NHL despite the obvious intent to injure.

Note that the cheap shot, injury, and possible brain damage alone were not enough to spark the Bruins. They lost the game the incident occurred in, and then lost the next game to the 2nd worst team in the NHL. It took the announcement of the non-suspension to wake them up.

I guess we as fans have to take what we can get in a playoff run that will not include Marc Savard. Savard being the player who is lucky to not have been reduced to a drooling vegetable by the drooling vegetable in Pittsburgh. Funny, this all sounds familiar. Didn't a Pennsylvania player almost destroy Patrice Bergeron's brain a few seasons ago? Yeah, that happened.

The hit Savard took has been deemed legal by the powers that be, despite the fact that hits thrown with the intent to injure are in fact illegal in the NHL and this particular hit had intent to injure all over it. Maybe the rules are different for players who wear the same jersey Sidney Crosby wears? Could be. Probably not, but it could be.

I have a question. Are the radio rights for the Boston Red Sox back to WEEI full time? I thought that happened last year after a pretty sad attempt at splitting the coverage between WEEI and another station owned by the same company.

If the answer is yes then I will never be apart from a Red Sox OR Bruins OR Patriots game again. Why? Because I have an iPhone.

Over the last 14 months of glorious iPhone ownership I have installed a handful of applications that allow me to listen to streaming audio. Pandora, Daytrotter, Wolfgang's Concert Vault, Student Radio Network, and NPR News.

And not long ago I added a WEEI app as well.

Now it should be noted that despite having this bevy of listening options, I never really spent much time with them. When I tried using them I would often run into network issues and the streams would either be lost or be choppy and tough to listen to.

Something made me give streaming audio another try yesterday. I drove from Salem, NH to Framingham, MA listening to the random song function on the Daytrotter app and never lost my connection, never experienced any delays, never had any problems at all. On the way back I listened to the Pandora app. Again, smooth sailing with no issues. While driving to get my step son at his after school program I listened to a Who show from 1973 on the Wolfgang's Concert Vault app. Flawless again.

I have to add at this point that I had completely forgotten I had the WEEI application.

While waiting for the little man to finish his evening activities I browsed the music section of the app store and found the free AOL radio app. I installed it. Checked the local stations for the Boston area and saw 98.5fm. The station that carries Bruins and Patriots games. That's when I remembered WEEI.

So from now on, when the Bruins are playing and I can't get to a television or a radio? Pop on the ol' iPhone. When the Red Sox are on and I can't get to a television or a radio? Pop on the ol' iPhone.

It really is the greatest invention in the history of the universe. Screw the wheel, the iPhone takes the prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment