Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hey, what's going on here?

Before Jen and I met I used to keep a pretty regular blog on myspace. She said that reading it was one of the things that first made her interested in me. I liked it. I would write about whatever came into my head and put it out there for anyone to read it. I really enjoyed watching the hit counter rise. I never gave any thoughts to who was reading it, because I was writing it for myself and any potential audience was irrelevant.

Once I started dating Jen and things got serious it became time for the kids to get involved. Along with blogging like a demented retard I also tend to take pictures of everything I see. I asked Jen if she had a problem with me posting picture of the kids and she said no. So... there are pictures of the kids everywhere.

When I started writing here I wanted it to be a daily thing at least. I wanted to be able to spout off everything I thought of or did here. If I saw something online that interested me it was sent here. If I saw something worthy of a quick picture, the picture came here. If something went down in my daily life that I thought was interesting, or at least would be fun to write about, it made it's way here.

Recently however we've been feeling a little uneasy. Let's face it, I over do it here. I've let things slide into the text that shouldn't be public. I've posted tons of pictures of a bunch of little kids who should be allowed anonymity. There are a lot of scumbags out there, and while I while I steadfastly refuse to curtail any of my rights on account of the scumbagged fuckery of others (you are reading this publicly after all) I have decided that those who are two young to really decide for themselves if they wish to be included in this ramble will no longer be included. Any post that includes any references to anyone I know who is under 18 has been deleted.

Also, my myspace page is now completely private. My facebook page is even more private than it already was. Tumblr and friendfeed were set up just to see how they worked, and they are now gone completely. I'm 50% through with twitter too. Everything is private there. I see that being more of a news feed now. I will follow anyone who catches my eye (that is the point of the service after all) but no one will be following me and I will not be updating it anymore. I see twitter as more of a newsfeed kind of site now. (I actually heard about Guy Carbonneau getting fired by the Canadians on twitter before any of the major sports outlets or newspapers had it.) So all that I wish to keep out of the public eye has been deleted.

Sort of.

I don't want to stop posting here (obviously, I'm posting this aren't I?) I just want to be less private. Jen suggested I just make this private and I did an exceptionally poor job telling her that, while that is a very good idea, it sort of defeats the purpose for me. I want to spew all of this on the unsuspecting public. I want some random person on the other side of the globe to accidentally come here and maybe laugh at what a twit I am, or get thrown into a jealous fury at how much happier I am in my life than he/she is. (just kidding about the rage part) I love knowing that Jen is reading all of this, and it is written as much for her benefit as for mine, but if I wasn't going to profess all of this publicly it would be no different than sending her an email. I send her email and instant messages all the time, I wanted this to be a place where I am overhead telling her how happy she makes me and how much I love her by potentially anyone anywhere. That's the appeal of this for me. It always has been.

At the same time, writing all of the stuff I write here without including anything about my family is a huge let down. I want to write about how awesome the kids are. I want everyone to know how much I adore them. I want everyone to know how amazing my siblings and friends kids are too. Not being able to write about any of that sucks.

So I decided to compromise. Anything that is fit for public consumption will be posted to this blog in my usual blather fashion. Anything that is personal and dealing with the inner workings of my family will be posted some where else. Somewhere that is not open for public viewing. A private blogspot page with the spur-of-the-moment-no-thought-put-into-it-at-all title, "The Inside Scoop on Rob." (catchy, ain't it? no? not really.) Click that link. I dare ya!

The new blog is open by invitation only. If you want an invite you have to ask me. I sent one to Jen and that's the only unsolicited one there will be. Wanna read it? Gotta ask me. Simple as that. (and I think you need to have a google account too, but that's easy to get) If you ask to read it and I know you I will probably give you an invite. I say probably because I reserve the right to say no. If I do say no it doesn't mean I don't like you, it just means I think you're an evil scumbag. I AM KIDDING!!! Seriously though, if you know me and ask for an invite and I say no it's nothing personal, it's just me being as kid-safety conscious as I can possibly be.

Last night when I set the new page up I found out about a very cool blogger function that allows you to export your entire blog as an xml file, and then you can import that xml file into a new blog. So the inside scoop (gonna regret that name real soon) was born as a copy of importance of being (already regret that lame name) as it was before the decision to change things was made. After I finish this I will probably post something similar over there just to mark the place where the one blog became two. (it'll be shorter though... and probably a whole lot less confusing and lame.)

Anyway, if you like reading what I post here you are welcome to continue. If you are a friend or a family member and want to read all the stuff that was deleted and any new family related posts that will be added in the future send me an email. If you don't know my email you can leave a comment here with your address. If you know me on facebook or myspace or any other site I may have linked here you can send me private messages there too. I am hoping I'll get a few followers for the new page, but if I don't it won't stop me from writing there.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment