Thursday, March 19, 2009

Screw Google Book Search

So I read an article on mashable today that said you can embed books from Google Book Search onto your web page. There is even a nice code generator available to do all the work for you.

I searched for Moby Dick, seeing as it was probably in the public domain which would legally allow me to post the whole bloody thing without owing anyone money, and went to the generator.

It gave me a spiffy little script to embed into an html page. I tried it. It didn't work. I tried it again with a different reference and it didn't work. I took one of their example jobbies and copied the source code, then used the ISBN numbers from the book I wanted and it worked!

I then came over to blogger to add it to a post here in order to give myself a little shot of snooty culture and it didn't work. I then refreshed the page it had worked on 2.6 minutes prior and it didn't work.

Screw you Google Book Search.

Anyway. Internet Explorer 8 came out today. Do I wanna? I have a version of it with Windows 7 on my laptop at home, but I am such a Firefox fanboy I have never even opened it. IE ranks fourth in my browser standings.
1. Firefox
2. Chrome
3. Safari
4. Internet Explorer.

Actually, I recently installed Opera on my linux machine so I would rank that ahead of IE. So I guess I'll hold off on IE8 for now.

Back to your regularly scheduled 'net surfing.

No comments:

Post a Comment