Monday, March 2, 2009

Skittles are Gross

I don't like skittles. They are like fruity little lies told to M&M lovers. They aren't for me.

I'm not sure about their website though. Have you been to skittles.com today? It has been redesigned. It is now just a screen shot of twitter search results for the keyword skittles with a couple of small widgety looking boxes on top.

I can't decide if it's a brilliant marketing strategy, the laziest web design job in computing history, or a flat out theft.

On the one hand, what a great idea. Put the phrase, "there is no such thing as bad publicity" to the test. Why pay some one to write your ad slogans when you can just have a few million average folks on the street do your talking for you. Great idea.

Then I look at it from the point of view of some one who knows a tiny (0.000001%) bit about web designing and I think that some one got paid for one seriously shitty piece of lazy ass work. I mean really, did it take them like 25 seconds to throw that ugly piece of crap together?

Even worse, what about all of the people who put the word skittles into a tweet? Shouldn't they be getting a cut of the profits in exchange? I mean if I were going to appear in a skittles television spot I most definitely would get paid. Likewise if I wrote a skittles television spot I would also want some cash in exchange. But what about this? They use our words and in many cases our images to sell their product and we are not reimbursed at all. Screw you skittles!

Of course, after reading about this earlier this morning I immediately went to twitter and posted a couple of tweets to get myself onto the skittles page. I should be paid for both the use of my likeness and the words I wrote. In fact, I'll post a screen shot of it so that I can get paid twice! WOOHOO skittles money!



On an unrelated note... the current snowstorm that is bashing the hell out of Massachusetts sucks ass. I hate it. I want it over. Go away winter, no one wants you anymore. You suck, Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment