Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools Day

Today is April 1, 2010. April Fools Day. The day that nerds world (wide web) wide revel in the gags thrown out by tech sites everywhere. Here are a few of the pranks I've run across today.

Google is the King of All April Fools Day sites. The undisputed leader in all things prank...

and they kinda let me down today: Topeka
Here is the Google Topeka Blog page announcing their name change.

Kind of a let down. Not really up to their usual April Fools standard.

Fortunately a couple of other Google sites picked up the slack. Check out youtube's new TEXTp Hi-Def video format.

Here's an example:
Okay the example played in the wrong format and for some reason is showing up behind the template so I can't see if I can change the output format or not. I'll just post a link instead.

Gmail had some difficulty last night. It appears they had a vowel outage. It made their log in page really hard to read... and infinitely funnier.

Laptop computers are a wonder, aren't they? Powerful computers that are small enough to carry around with you and use anywhere...

Or should I say, almost anywhere. There is one glaring hole in the laptop market and Toshiba is looking to fill it. Introducing the TubeTop. the world's first inflatable laptop. It promises to keep you connected anywhere, including your hot tub.

This is my favorite, and I hope hope hope that it's not a joke and it really is available for purchase. The iCade from ThinkGeek. You have an iPad but it's not really cool enough as a gaming device. Plug it into your iCade and suddenly it's 1982 and your favorite video arcade is sitting on your desktop. This is drool worthy in a serious way. Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, and Qbert! Don't forget about Super Steve Brothers too. What a fantastic item. I want one. I want two!

Back to Google again. This is the best one. It's not my favorite though because I am ridiculously jealous of it. I just watched some one at work download this app onto his Driod simply by holding it up to his computer screen. Why can't my iPhone do that? Huh? You reading this Steve Jobs? How about a barcode scanner that can install apps just by looking at them?

The app itself is amazing. It's a translator that translates animal noises into English. It's an incredible breakthrough in human/pet interactions. Now you will always know what your dog is thinking ("Give me a cookie?") in every imaginable circumstance (trust me, your dog is thinking "give me a cookie?" in every imaginable circumstance). Now you don't have to wonder what your cat really means when it meows at you ("If I could open the cat food I wouldn't need you and I would slit your throat while you sleep") or purrs while rubbing against your leg ("world domination!").

If I run across any more April Fools stuff I'll add it onto this post.

Happy April Fools Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment