Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

Last night I got a taste of how bad the flooding can screw things up. The traffic was horrible all over the place. There was a huge back up on 126 in Wayland as people who are apparently fed up with the posted detour around the closed section of route 20 decided to create a second option that backed up forever. Once I got past that I was pretty much clear road closure wise, although I did take the "B" route through Lincoln and Concord to avoid any hassles with route 117 being closed, but the volume everywhere was just out of control. Every intersection had a back up. It was nuts.

This morning I dropped off the kids in Salem at 7:40 and was at my desk by 8:30. Not only did we get Friday highway volume today (in other words, much lighter than normal) but we had Good Friday volume (much much much lighter than normal). I think the slowest I moved was 60 miles per hour (other than while on ramps and toll booths of course) and it was really nice.

Last night instead of going home after work I went to my parents' house. The plan was for me to spend some time in their basement running the wet-vac. Because the traffic was so bad I got there much later than I expected, and then we had dinner, and then it was time to get the kids home... I think I filled the wet-vac three times in total. I didn't help much, but fortunately they don't have a lot of water left to remove.

While at my folks' I let my guard down for a minute and fell for the oldest April Fools gag of all time. My step-son told me my shoe was untied and I looked. I was totally burned by a seven year old. I shoulda seen that one coming.

On the NHL front, I would like to thank(?) the Washington Capitals for beating the Atlanta Thrashers and thus keeping the Bruins in the playoffs. The Bruins lost last night 1-0 to Florida. That's the 12th place, 8 points out of a playoff spot Florida Panthers. Boston now sits in 8th, which is about 3 spots higher than they actually deserve. They were shut out... by Florida. I'm almost to the point where I am hoping they don't make the playoffs. If it ended today they would face Washington in the first round and they will be swept in the most utterly humiliating way possible. They simply are not good. They keep just barely winning enough to hold onto that 8th spot, but honestly... they are not good.

Fortunately for the down trodden Boston hockey fan, the Red Sox season opener is Sunday... against the Yankees.

Take me out to the ball game babie!

No comments:

Post a Comment