Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bruins Take the Lead

Watch the highlights and marvel:



The Bruins... the Boston Bruins... the team that sucked up a storm for most of the season... the team that I picked to beat Buffalo in the first round playoff series only because I am a Bruins fan and I could never pick against them... the team that I expected to lose four straight games by a 1-0 score...

Has a two games to one lead in the best of seven series.

I am stunned.

I am also really excited. I need to be more cautiously optimistic (it worked for me in 2004 when the Red Sox won the world series. I never had any expectations. Even in game four against St. Louis when we were up in the ninth inning, I still didn't let myself get too excited. Memories of 1986 still haunt me.) I actually found myself looking toward the second round today and that's a sure fire way to jinx my team to a six game loss.

Still, it was beautiful last night.

Jen and I were up very late on Sunday night and very early on Monday morning. She was exhausted all day long. I was in a little better shape. She had to stay at work late so I went to the gym without her. I took my iPhone, a pair of headphones, and the AOL Radio app which streams 98.5FM which carries Bruins games. I got up on the treadmill and logged in just as the game started. It was also on a television in the gym but the radio had a delay and it was out of sync. So I walked and listened.

A few minutes later Jen called and asked me if I could come and get her. She was so tired she was afraid to drive. I finished my treadmill program, left the gym, went to get gas and a soda (no caffeine, still), and headed to Lexington to get my love. During that time the first period ended and the second period was well underway. (I was pumping gas during the Wideman goal and missed it. Stupid empty gas tank.) By the time we got home it was mid way through the third period, still tied at one.

I made sandwiches for dinner for the two of us (I used the last of the marshmallow fluff, and we're running low on bread... note to self) and we sat and watched a few minutes while scarfing down our food. We had decided that as soon as the pb&f was gone we would go to bed. Just after I ate the last bite, Patrice Bergeron scored the tie breaking goal. I immediately shut off the television. If I was going to bed before the game ended, then I was going to bed on a very, very high note.

Then Jen suggested I listen to the last few minutes via my iPhone while in bed. If I fell asleep before it was over then no big deal. She is the sweetest, isn't she? I did. The Bruins won. I am shocked and awed. It was magic.

It was also only game three. It feels like a series winner... like a conference finals winner (not quite a cup winner though) but it only gives us the lead. I was so sure we were going to get blown out easily that the simple fact we are not losing in the series has me extremely excited. I can't wait for game four! (Wednesday at 7:00.)

And in closing, here is the play of the game. Johnny Boychuck ruins Matt Ellis.


Go Bruins!

No comments:

Post a Comment