Thursday, October 4, 2012

Rush has Been Nominated

So Rush has been nominated for the rock and roll hall of fame.

So has Deep Purple, Procol Harum, and the Paul Butterfield Blues band.

So has Donna Summer, Chic, NWA, and Public Enemy.

sigh

Rush fans worldwide are now freaking out with glee over having their band recognized by such an esteemed institution.

I can't say that with a straight face.

The rock and roll hall of fame is a pile of dog shit.  Each year when the nominations were announced and Rush was snubbed I danced with delight.  I don't want my favorite band to have anything to do with this garbage.  I listen to this band that bucks trends, avoids the trappings of the commercial industry, writes music for themselves not for their corporate masters (in fact, they have been able to keep all label people out of their sessions since 1976.  That feat is all but unimaginable).  In short, they make music.  The fact that their music sells like crazy, and has for decades, is irrelevant.  They are not in the business of moving units.  That sort of came to them by accident.  Hell, they made 2112 in 1976 with the full intention that it would be so far removed from what their label wanted them to do that they would be dropped and their careers would be over.  The fact that it has sold a gagillion copies must still be a shock to all involved.

I hate the rock and roll hall of fame.  I hate the fact that Rush has been nominated.  I sincerely hope they don't get in.  I want them to have as little to do with that shit hole as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment